Volunteer at the Abbey Centre
Give some of your time to a good cause at our vibrant Westminster community centre, while you gain new skills and meet new people! Volunteering connects you to others, is good for your mind and body, and can bring fun and fulfilment to your life.
Volunteering is open to anyone: students, working, retired or anyone seeking to improve their confidence and skills as a way back into paid employment. We will work with you to develop your skills and interests.
For businesses and other organisations, we can offer corporate social responsibility days. You could bring a team to support some of our most popular events, or use your professional skills to offer advice to our service users or improve our facilities.
Travel expenses will be paid where appropriate and hot drinks will be provided, as well as free meals for those volunteering a full day, while our cafe is open. We also partner with volunteer reward schemes, so we can offer discounts and other bonuses to thank you for your time.
It doesn’t matter how much or how little time you have to offer. Even a few hours, when you can spare the time, would help!
Pantry personal shopper
Wednesday or Friday, 8:30 – 12:00 or 11:00 – 17:00
Duties to include:
- Helping to set up and clean away the Community Pantry
- Helping customers with the shop
- Making sure all expiry dates are within time limits
- Helping to support the pantry session team lead
After School Club Volunteer Project Worker
Mondays 3:45 – 6:15pm during school term time
Duties to include:
- Assist the project lead
- Engaging with the younger people to ensure they engage and enjoy the sessions
South Westminster Legal Advice Centre Meet and Greet Volunteer
6:30 – 8pm Tuesday and/or Thursday
Duties to include:
- Offer a warm and welcoming greeting to people arriving at the South Westminster Legal Advice Centre
- Show people through to the room where the service takes place and seat them while they wait for their appointment
- Answer general queries and provide assistance to other SWLAC volunteers when requested
- Adhere to Abbey Centre policies including confidentiality, health and safety, and equal opportunities (information will be provided
Other volunteering opportunities
- Supporting older people’s social groups – setting up and clearing up, serving drinks, supporting provision of activities and days out (Monday or Wednesday 11:30am – 3:30pm)
- Abbey Housemates befriending service – phoning or meeting isolated people to check-in and chat (1-2 hours per week)
- Supporting local residents with our Community Champions
- Supporting new mums with our Maternity Champions
- Covering our reception (weekdays 9am – 5pm)
- A handyman to do odd jobs around our centre
We are also keen to hear from people with specialist skills which could help advance the Abbey Centre’s mission.
How to sign up
To register for volunteering at the Abbey Centre:
- Please fully complete the Abbey Centre registration form. It is important that you fill in all relevant information, which may be required for your own safety, or your application may be rejected. This includes any medical conditions, as well as emergency and GP contact details.
- Email us at email@example.com with the reference number of your application, and details of two references. Please provide their full names, company / organisation name and job titles, contact email addresses and phone numbers. The references cannot be a family member or anyone who shares the same household as the person applying to volunteer.
We will contact you once your application has been processed, which may take up to two weeks.