Volunteer at the Abbey Centre
Give some of your time to a good cause at our vibrant Westminster community centre, while you gain new skills and meet new people! Volunteering connects you to others, is good for your mind and body, and can bring fun and fulfilment to your life.
Volunteering is open to anyone: students, working, retired or anyone seeking to improve their confidence and skills as a way back into paid employment. We will work with you to develop your skills and interests.
For organisations, we can offer corporate social responsibility days.
Travel expenses will be paid where appropriate and hot drinks will be provided, as well as free meals for those volunteering a full day, while our cafe is open. We also partner with volunteer reward schemes, so we can offer discounts and other bonuses to thank you for your time.
It doesn’t matter how much or how little time you have to offer. Even a few hours, when you can spare the time, would help!
Current volunteering opportunities
Pantry personal shopper
Fridays 8:30am – 2:00pm
Duties to include:
- Helping to set up and clean away the Community Pantry
- Helping customers with the shop
- Making sure all expiry dates are within time limits
- Helping to support the pantry session team lead
Volunteer Project Worker – After School Club
Mondays 3:15pm – 6:15pm from 5th September 2022
Duties to include:
- Assisting the project lead at the After School Club
- Helping to set up and clear away
- Assisting with data collection
- Engaging with the younger people to ensure they are involved in and enjoy the sessions
Volunteer Project Worker for older people’s creative activities
Mondays and/or Wednesdays, 11:30 – 15:30
Duties to include:
- Assist setting up and helping with creative activities
- Engaging, and talking to service users who attend the older people’s clubs
- Reporting issues and concerns with service users’ wellbeing, in line with the Abbey centre safeguarding policies
Director of Admin needed for legal advice centre
South Westminster Legal Advice Centre provide free legal advice to local people at the Abbey Centre.
They have a challenging but rewarding opportunity for a volunteer Director of Administration to join their team, which is entirely comprised of volunteers.
The position would suit someone with good admin experience at a senior level, IT focused and able to create and lead a small team. A full job description is available here.
This is your chance to get involved hands-on in a great project that makes a real difference to local people’s lives.
For more information or to apply, please email David on firstname.lastname@example.org attaching your cv.
Other volunteering opportunities
- Supporting older people’s social groups – setting up and clearing up, serving drinks, supporting provision of activities and days out (Monday or Wednesday 11:30am – 3:30pm)
- Receiving and putting away deliveries to our Community Pantry (Tuesday or Thursday 9:30am – 4pm)
- Abbey Housemates befriending service – phoning or meeting isolated people to check-in and chat (1-2 hours per week)
- Supporting local residents with our Community Champions
- Supporting new mums with our Maternity Champions
- Covering our reception (weekdays 9am – 5pm)
- A handyman to do odd jobs around our centre
We are also keen to hear from people with specialist skills which could help advance the Abbey Centre’s mission.
How to sign up
To register for volunteering at the Abbey Centre:
- Please fully complete the Abbey Centre registration form. It is important that you fill in all relevant information, which may be required for your own safety, or your application may be rejected. This includes any medical conditions, as well as emergency and GP contact details.
- Email us at email@example.com with the reference number of your application, and details of two references. Please provide their full names, company / organisation name and job titles, contact email addresses and phone numbers. The references cannot be a family member or anyone who shares the same household as the person applying to volunteer.
- We will contact you once your application has been processed, which may take up to two weeks.