Volunteer at the Abbey Centre
Give some of your time to a good cause, while you gain new skills and meet new people! Volunteering connects you to others, is good for your mind and body, and can bring fun and fulfilment to your life.
Volunteering is open to anyone: students, working, retired or anyone seeking to improve their confidence and skills as a way back into paid employment. We will work with you to develop your skills and interests. We also offer corporate social responsibility days for organisations.
Travel expenses will be paid where appropriate. Hot drinks will be provided, as well as free meals for those volunteering a full day, while our cafe is open. We also partner with volunteer reward schemes so we can offer discounts and other bonuses to thank you for your time.
It doesn’t matter how much or how little time you have to offer. Even a few hours, when you can spare the time, would help!
Current volunteering opportunities
9am – 5pm Wednesdays and/or Thursdays. Must commit to at least one day per week.
Duties to include:
- Answering switchboard
- Welcoming visitors
- Keep the reception tidy
- Helping with some additional data entry or data collation
- Full training will be provided
Pantry personal shopper
Fridays 8:30am – 1:30pm
Duties to include:
- Helping to set up and clean away the Community Pantry
- Helping customers with the shop
- Making sure all expiry dates are within time limits
- Helping to support the pantry session team lead
Other volunteering opportunities
- Supporting older people’s social groups – setting up and clearing up, serving drinks, supporting provision of activities and days out (Monday or Wednesday 11:30am – 3:30pm)
- Receiving and putting away deliveries to our Community Pantry (Tuesday or Thursday 8:30am – 4pm)
- Abbey Housemates befriending service – phoning or meeting isolated people to check-in and chat (1 – 2 hours per week)
- Supporting local residents with our Community Champions
- Supporting new mums with our Maternity Champions
- A handyman to do odd jobs around our centre
We are also keen to hear from people with specialist skills which could help advance the Abbey Centre’s mission.
How to sign up
To register for volunteering at the Abbey Centre:
- Please fully complete the Abbey Centre registration form. It is important that you fill in all relevant information, which may be required for your own safety, or your application may be rejected. This includes any medical conditions, as well as emergency and GP contact details.
- Email us at email@example.com with the reference number of your application, and details of two references. Please provide their full names, company / organisation name and job titles, contact email addresses and phone numbers. The references cannot be a family member or anyone who shares the same household as the person applying to volunteer.
- We will contact you once your application has been processed, which may take up to two weeks.